Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings Next: [GZG] [Announcement] ZeroWear

Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:06:40 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings

Hugh Fisher wrote:
 > Historically multiple ability fighters have fallen to "jack of all
trades, master of none" syndrome (eg the F-111 was going to replace
every other USAF and USN fighter and fighter bomber). <

Not any more. The introduction of advanced computerised FCS technology
has meant that aircraft like the F-15E and F-18 can actually do what the

F-111 was hyped as being capable of doing. The computers allow the
conflicting requirements of various missions (e.g., low wing loading for

high agility vs high wing loading for low gust response at low-level) to

be achieved in the one airframe. Build the aircraft for the most
demanding physical requirements and let the computers handle stability,
ride, etc. These days, if an aircraft lacks a capability, it's because
someone has decided that they don't want it to have it (usually for cost

reasons) or it's overloaded with weapons for another role.

 > And I suspect that the training cost for the pilots becomes
horrendous as well - anyone got any actual figures/experience for this?
<

It can't be _that_ bad, or aircraft like the two mentioned above and the

F-16 wouldn't be so widely used, nor would the F-14 have been given an
air-to-ground role in its last few years of service.

 > Your cost sounds about right for a "swing role" fighter which can
[use] ONE ability at a time, chosen when the battle commences or when
launched if feeling generous. <

Some abilities might be useful in any role -- Fast Interceptor vs Fast
Attack, for instance (what ordinance is hanging off the beast?) -- so
there might be the need for "common" abilities (e.g., Fast, Heavy) vs
"role/weaponry" abilities. The former would be there regardless of which

of the latter were chosen for the current game/mission. And some
"choices" are a bit dodgy: what sort of PSB would justify a Fast fighter

suddenly becoming a Heavy (but no longer Fast) one mid-game? (rhetorical

question!)

 > For a genuine combined ability fighter I'd suggest replacing the
division operators by multiplications, so the second ability costs twice

as much, the third three times as much. <

I think that would be too costly. There's got to be some middle ground
to make the use of multi-ability craft viable but not ridiculously
effective. I don't claim to know what it is, though....

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings Next: [GZG] [Announcement] ZeroWear