Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings

Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:18:26 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings

>Fiddling with multi-ability fighters for campaign play (using FT2.5)
>
>Multiple ability fighters are costed as follows (highest to lowest
cost):
>(1st ability)+(2nd ability)/2+(3rd ability)/3 etc.
>
>Therefore a Fast Heavy Attack squadron costs (30)+(24)/2+(24/3) = 50
>pts/squadron.
>
>Any comments on the cost/balance of the price?

Historically multiple ability fighters have fallen to
"jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome (eg the
F-111 was going to replace every other USAF and USN
fighter and fighter bomber). Our rather brief history
of spaceships suggests the same: the shuttle was
meant to replace everything, and instead doesn't do
anything particularly well.

And I suspect that the training cost for the pilots
becomes horrendous as well - anyone got any actual
figures/experience for this?

Your cost sounds about right for a "swing role" fighter
which can be ONE ability at a time, chosen when the
battle commences or when launched if feeling generous.

For a genuine combined ability fighter I'd suggest
replacing the division operators by multiplications,
so the second ability costs twice as much, the third
three times as much.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] [FT]Multi-abilityfightercostings