Prev: [GZG] RE: [GZG Fiction] Dear Ma.... 2 of 5 Next: Re: [GZG] Starter fleets

[GZG] [Brushwars] First contact Pt.3 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:10:22 +1100
Subject: [GZG] [Brushwars] First contact Pt.3 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

	The pre-op briefing was grim.  Recon had the main Phalon forces
supplied with three heavy Zone Air Defence as well as their
preponderance of
LAD systems.  Even a combined salvo of every available missile was not
guaranteed to get through flak thick enough to walk on.
	"Our objective is to destroy the ZAD to make followup missions
easier.  If we don't take them out first try, continued air attacks will
be
expensive.  As they can't keep them active all the time, the plan calls
for
Nap-of-the-Earth flying through the Alfalfa Hills and a combined
time-on-target salvo of anti-radar missiles followed up with an
immediate
bombing run.  Heavy tanks are a bonus, but kill those ZAD first!
	"Due to the weight of fire needed, you will only be carrying two
AA
missiles, so if you get jumped, cover your backs and disengage.
Questions?"
	'Hot Dog' raised his hand, "What do we do when we run out of
ammo?"
	"Come back for more, of course.  Any more *relevant* questions?"

	The briefing continued for another 10 minutes of technical
discussion about the attack before pilots headed for their craft.

	As the last surviving fighter limped back to base, Lt-Col James
received Sqd Ldr Yaro's report.
	"...the NOE entry gave us just enough time to salvo anti-radar
missiles at the ZAD.  We killed one and a second shut down or lost its
search radar; a single bomb as we overflew fixed that.	The third one
evaded
somehow and we started taking serious fire.  We lost Ulaa and Irene at
the
end of the pass.  As we turned, a flight of three Phalon fighters were
spotted, so I detached Two Flight to keep them busy while One Flight
made a
bombing run.  That looks to have been a mistake as the APCs disgorged at
least nine missile teams; they're only small missiles, but enough to
down a
fighter if it hits a bad spot.	They hit lots of bad spots as we dropped
the
bombs.	I lost all three members of my own flight and both members of
Three
flight were badly damaged and had to limp in.  Good news, we took out
the
third ZAD and a few heavy tanks.
	"Bad news; those Phalon fighters are better than we thought.
Two
flight were only able to down one of them before breaking off and losing
two
of their own to plasma hits.  You can review the camera footage later.
Anyway, they broke off as soon as we cut through the valley over the
little
friendlies, so we can probably do another sortie after some repairs.
We're
down to four effectives and two downlined with major damage."
	Lt-Col James digested this for a moment, "Re-arm everyone for
CAP.
We'll see how the ground forces do.  A few prisoners would help us find
out
whats going on."

	After that SNAFU back on Kimpo it was good to have proper intel
and
flexible engagement orders.  Col Atkinson viewed the columns of smoke
from
destroyed vehicles and ordered the Sabre scout platoon forward to find
suitable ambush terrain and estimate force strength.  In a few hours,
he'd
know if it was feasable to finish off this splinter force.

***

Next Issue: Phalon Mules rebel against their casualties.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: [GZG] RE: [GZG Fiction] Dear Ma.... 2 of 5 Next: Re: [GZG] Starter fleets