Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: Re: [GZG] OODA

Re: [GZG] OODA

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 19:25:55 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] OODA

----- Original Message -----
From: <laserlight@verizon.net>

> Thinking about a discussion of UGO IGO and turn-based games...I'd like
> have a game which takes into account the reaction times of the
different
> units--reaction time meaning OODA loops.
> Now, in something like FT, and easy way to implement this would be
> impulses (but I should call them "turns" instead of "impulses" or the
> "Death to SFB" crowd will break out their pitchforks and torches).
Nelson
> might be able to write orders every 3 impulses; Suffren every 4; Byng
> might only be able to write orders every 8 impulses. To some extent,
your
> OODA speed would be a function of your navy's training, so most NAC
> commanders are, say about a 4....but you will still get a few 5's and
3's.

> This would affect maneuvering, and possibly changing targets; it
wouldn't
> affect your ROF against a current target.
>
> Comments? And any ideas on how to apply it in a StarGrunt-like
context?
If you want to introduce commander quality here are some ideas.
If you issue order counters to every unit at the start of the turn or
issue
the order sequence in an alternate action sequence then commanders could

provide a number of extra order counters that could be assigned to
units.
The unit could then choose which order to implement depending on what
the
enemy units were ordered to do.
In an alternate activation sequence the skilled commanders could have
the
ability to resequnce their order stack and swap particular units order
sequence. Better commanders could do this more times than novice ones.
Or you could assign a command characteristic that needs to be diced
against
to issue special orders to units, say to assault or rally or move at the

double etc.

If you want these to be generic rather than GZG race specific then these

abilities need to be assigned a points value so they can be selected by
any
army.

You could also have special characteristics such as "rash" which allows
orders to be changed to assault or cautious which allows ordered changed
hold.
Maybe you should also have some "bad commander traits" that cheapen the
points cost of the commander, say a crazed attribute that means you must

allocate assault orders to one unit within command range.

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@horusinc.com>
Unfortunately, this is exactly the problem we will have with SG3 (much
as it
exists in DS2) - we have a huge range in potential "tech" levels.
Honestly,
I don't think it's that much of a "game engine" problem and more a
problem
of how to resolve it in a "campaign" sense.

Nope, in a campaign setting or GM run game you can control thins how you

like. This is exactly the problem for pick up games or tournament. I
can't
design my army and take it down to the local club or store and play
anyone I
might want to. Their army comes from a different era with different tech
and
point value.

Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: Re: [GZG] OODA