Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] SSD bits Next: Re: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)

Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:30:02 +0100
Subject: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

>On 11/3/06, Robert N Bryett <rbryett@mail.com> wrote:
>>  > Even then, as anyone who has done it enough will tell you, the
only
>>>  way to get a really good scenario is to playtest the dickens out of
>>>  it. There is no way to balance a scenario otherwise.
>>
>>Great advice for those who have a large enough group of players to
>>provide play-testers who are not the same people as will be playing
>>the scenario in an actual game. Not especially useful otherwise.
>
>You seem to be missing my point. I'm agreeing with you. I _understand_
>that it's a rare group who can "playtest the dickens" out of a
>scenario. That was the reason I was leading up to the rest of the
>e-mail, suggesting we need a point system and/or a repository for
>scenarios.
>
>Allan

For what it's worth, as the [OFFICIALtm] viewpoint, I pretty much
agree with everything said by Allan AND everyone else on this
subject...... while I don't want SG3/SG-AC/G-CAV2/whatever to be
dominated by a rigid points system that stifles creative scenarios,
we DO need SOMETHING to make pick-up games and newbie induction a lot
easier. What form that takes in the end is something that's still
open to a lot of debate, but personally I favour some sort of system
that allows you to build your units, then a scenario generator that
determines your mission for that game and how much of your force you
can actually use on table to accomplish said mission.

Jon (GZG)