Prev: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems Next: [GZG] [Brushfire] First Contact pt.1 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:27:38 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Arndt" <emu2020@comcast.net>
>A good set of mission-based scenarios can address a lot of these
strategic
> elements you are looking for.  Writing flanking forces and such into
> scenarios allows for these battlefield uncertainties and
eventualities.
> Dice rolls, card-draws, chit draws can add a good number of ways in
which
> assign these.  I am a particular fan of die rolls because chits and
cards
> can be lost/damaged/misplaced and any gamer worth his lead has more
dice
> than he really needs.
Those are fine mechanisms but assigning them by dice score takes any
choice
from the player and if it is an open dice roll then both players know
what
the other's mission and deployment options are.
This can work but can also create mismatches. For example in an even
point
pick up game if I dice "raid the enemy HQ" and my opponent gets "Hold
position" then that kind of attack into an enemy that can win by simply
sitting there can provide a decisive advantage to the defender.
Dicing for a scenario where one player is the attacker and one is the
defender as used by Flames of War looks like it produces the best result
and
produces some really good games. All scenarios can be played by standard

pick up armies so you don't need to bring lots of different units and
only
get to use some.

Prev: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems Next: [GZG] [Brushfire] First Contact pt.1 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]