Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] EMP batteries and Beta Test Fighter rules Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt] Wanted

Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt] Wanted

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:32:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Stargrunt] Wanted

>On 10/25/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
><gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:05:51 -0500 (CDT)
>>From: <laserlight@verizon.net>
>>
>>>I have been working on a board game variant of Stargrunt using
>>>Squad Leader boards. [snip] Would that be something you'd be
>>>interested in?
>>
>>*I* certainly would be.
>
>My intention was to create a set of conversion rules that required the
>SG2 rulebook, but let you play SG2 as a board game. I can understand
>if Jon is worried about it eating into figure sales, which is why I
>posed the question as to whether Jon would mind it being released to
>the public at large.
>
>I, personally, don't think it would adversely affect figure sales, as
>a large part of miniature gaming is the aesthetic appeal of moving
>miniatures on 3D terrain. If Jon gives the okay, I will release
>Stargrunt-SL (which is what I've been calling it) to the world.
>
>The main reason I created it was so that I'd have a "travel" version
>of Stargrunt. It allows you to play bigger games simply because the
>time it takes to move squads around is much lower, so you can use it
>for those company-sized games that used to take 6+ hours.
>
>It also integrates well with the board game. You can create a table
>based on a hex board, and use SG-SL for off-table movement and fire
>from off table support assets.
>
>I have a bunch of Heroscape terrain bits. I'm considering painting up
>some of my old Battletech 10mm figures (never bought the mechs, or
>enough vehicles, but I have a lot of infantry I got cheap). I can base
>multiple figures for, say, Striker but play the game ala SG-SL. This
>could also be done with 15mm figures.
>
>In fact, the SG-SL rules include some minor changes that could be used
>by 15mm and 6mm players who want to mount their SG squads on single
>stands.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing it, Allan, mainly for that
reason! With all the 15mm we've been releasing, I've been considering
modifications to SGII (or even a new ruleset, though that's VERY far
away <wry grin>) for 15mm with fireteam/squad based figure
groups......

As to releasing SG-SL for public consumption, I don't imagine that
will be much of a problem, though I'd like to take a look at it first
if that's OK.

Best,

Jon (GZG)