Prev: Re: Re: [ECC] Cards was [GZG] Beta Fighters Next: [GZG] [Dirtside] Wanted

[GZG] beta fighter rules--my impression

From: "Mark & Staci Drake" <markandstaci@c...>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:02:21 -0500
Subject: [GZG] beta fighter rules--my impression

Laserlight wrote:
b) REPORT whether you hated the new rules, love them, or don't care. If
you
love them, we'll assume it's because they fix the
massed-fighters-problem;
if you hate them, tell us why.>>>>>>>>

I for one am a proponent of the beta fighter rules.Have tried the
original
version and found them to be too much "either/or"--either not enough to
make
a difference or massed groups of them were overwhelming!
Now I tend to play with no more than 4-5 fighter groups per side in my
solo
FT games and found they have been an effective weapons system.For
example I
played the New Vilnius scenario recently (found at the Schild en Vriend
website) using "traditional" wet navy tactics for fighters
(interception,escort,and attack) and they played a significant part in
the
game;the Xirin fighters escorted their torpedo flight to the target (a
CVL)
and kept the Human interceptors tied up long enough for the surviving
torp
fighters to deliver the decisive blow to destroy the CVL for the
victory.
Also like the further differentiation in fighter types+their
effects,plus
how Evasive Maneuvers can be used to offset PDF fire.The best change is
how
various other weapons can be used in PDF role.Still not clear about use
of
larger beams as PDF.
The only thing I did not like about the beta fighter rules were the
format
of how they were written (know they were posted to the list though.)
Looking
at the printout of beta rules is quite confusing trying to find out
something,so that really needs to be cleaned up.I did break it down into

more easily readable subdivisions (easier for me anyway);did this by
copy+paste the turn sequence onto one Word doc,with the weapons summary
on
another doc.Just made 2 smaller printouts but it is easier to consult
(am an
ASL fanatic so multiple charts is easy for me--maybe not for all folks
though.) Can send them to anyone interested.
One thing I would like to see is some sort of optional fighter morale
rule
for use with the beta fighter rules.I did like that from MT!

I seriously hope these will be an integral part of FT3 as this is the
one
area that needed to be improved over the original and the beta rules are
vast improvement,IMHO.

Thanks,
Mark

Prev: Re: Re: [ECC] Cards was [GZG] Beta Fighters Next: [GZG] [Dirtside] Wanted