Prev: RE: [GZG] Mercs and "Realism" Next: [GZG] [FT] Google Full Thrust Search Engine (BETA)

[GZG] Re: RE: Mercs and "Realism"

From: David Billinghurst <davebill@c...>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:36:20 +1300
Subject: [GZG] Re: RE: Mercs and "Realism"

Hi Eli,

Your concept sounds good to me.  For mid tech, as someone else posted,
perhaps look at non-standard 'modern' minis where you don't get the
automatic 'but that's a ....'.	I'm assuming you're after 15mm figures.
If
so, QRF in the UK seem to make a range of nice modern vehicles (the US
Stryker APC looks quite a bit like the Traveller ATV for example) - and
they're now available in Australia (I have contact details if you're
from
that part of the world).  I've only seen photos, BTW, and, sadly, the
infantry don't look too hot, but the vehicles look verrry nice.

For lower tech, you could use WWII vehicles, though must people can spot
the
obvious Brit/German/American ones.  And most of the others are too
similar
(check out Battlefront's Flames of War range for examples). Probably
1950's
Cold War would be better, though I'm not sure if anyone does this
period.
Otherwise, kitbashing any FoW stuff you can pick up cheap (I've got some

Italian tankettes I'm going to play around with - not sure if I have the

skill to make 'em grav tanks).

If 1/300th or 6mm is your scale, then GHQ used to be the premier figures
for
detail, followed by Skytrex for range of figures.

I picked up a remaindered book called 'Fighting Vehicles of the World'
by
Philip Trewhitt and Chris McNab - Amber Books ISBN 1-904687-03-2.  Has
pictures and thumbnail sketches of 600 tanks and AFVs from WWI to
2004ish.
The info includes armament, and dimensions of the featured vehicles
which is
just the berries for working out the size class (and since I don't know
the
difference between a BMP and PMT, except both give you a headache:),
it's
vey handy for me!)

Hope this helps,

David

> From: "Eli Arndt" <emu2020@comcast.net>
> Subject: RE: [GZG] Mercs and "Realism"

> Well, honestly, was looking for input from the pros on whether or not
this
> seemed in line with the concept.  I also am looking for
recommendations