Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:17:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

James wrote on 10/21/2006 05:50:50 AM:

> Thanks guy's, for the link.

No problem! It was phrased to phish for another set if someone had some.
;->=

> As for the Star Wars fighter scale, the X-wing used in the
> WOTC online
> rules, looks about 1/4 the size of the Capital ship's.
> I hope this not so , as was hoping for cool unit's such as
> Rogue squadron,
> say 6 fighter's to a base.

Well, the individual characters probably have to shine someway, though I
think 'ace' rule in FT is far more elegant in a fleet game.

Chris' comments aside, I still think a large fighter and a die to
represent
the squadron is the way to go. Just don't put it on a flat base; the die
needs to be protected from those of us too clumsy to live.

I've recently picked up some of Flagship Games' Starship! pieces. Not
the
ships themselves, as I find them VERY pricey, but the
fighters/torps/shuttles/etc. One thought was to use them as a base, and
put
a die on a stand, the other was to take six of the square pieces, grind
out
some ships (have to figure how to add as well; the pieces only show four
ships) and glue them together into a squadron die.

Shows how crazed I must be; most folks would just swap out pieces.

Slide to almost the bottom of the page to see what I mean; better men
than
I would do the pieces themselves:

http://www.flagshipgames.com/catalog-starship.htm

As for scale, there's MM's 'one fit sizes all', and there's
micrometer-accurate presentation pieces, and a good variation in
between.
The rules give four classes, and if the previous games are to be judged,
the figs will roughly match. There will be some variance in that, but
it's
not a bad way to go.

Really, for Star Wars, a micro machine Star Destroyer needs pin POINT
fighters. Compare the fighters to blockade runner a 1X, then the runner
SD at -2x.

http://www.merzo.net/index.html

> Well on the 29th of October we are having a small wargames
> show hosted by a
> local club{ oh really} and Eureka miniature's will be
> there, so look's like
> I will have to sell a kidney to pay for all the figure's,
> that so badly need

Wait a minute; can you honestly say you don't have more lead at home
than
can be painted in a life time?

> to be adopted, if only Madonna would take a leaf out of my
> book and realise
> that true adoption is company sized.

A 'company' of children growing under the guidance of Madonna...
*shudder*

> Yes it's in Australia, and I'm doing a WW2 game in 28mm,
> yes I would love to
> do a stargrunt game, but how do you explain fun and tacics
> and well priced
> figure's and a great sci fi system to kids that only play
> 40 K , which is
> about how much it cost's to collect one of the armies from
> forge world.LMFAO

A good way to start is to watch for the kids constantly getting their
a**es
handed to them, and give them a chance at a game that's more about
thinking. Let them use the Evil Empire(tm) figs, with disadvantages for
being easy-to-spot. ;->=

Another thing to try is watch for uber-sized games, and

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles