Prev: Re: RE: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: Re: RE: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:32:02 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On 10/9/06, Robertson, Brendan <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

>	 Including HQ, I had down immediate availability of 3 IFVs, 1
tank, 3
> AFVs (already in ambush) and 2 mortar AFVs.  Certainly not enough to
> continue forward momentum until field repairs (poss 1 tank and 1 IFV)
or
> replacements gave you more help (which wasn't far away, but you didn't
know
> that).

Here's part of the problem.  I am not counting a scout platoon when
I'm figuring forces for a deliberate attack against dug-in infantry.
Just like while my mechanics have rifles to defend themselves, I don't
use them for house-clearing.  Specialized units are there to perform a
specific job (with scouts, that job is find the enemy and report
back), not do Light Brigade impressions.

>	 I agree that I didn't give you enough forces as attacker (or
> accurate enough intel to make the best use of your forces).  Infantry
vs
> tanks/armoured cav is certainly a lot harder to balance than it looks,
esp.
> in an urban setting.

Well, the old 3:1 rule is a pretty good rule of thumb.	Just count
maneuver platoons.  If he has six, and I have two, I should not also
have to attack into his ideal terrain.

Maneuver platoons:  Armor, infantry.  That's it.

Another thought:  A large number of subunits creates more options for
maneuvering and creativity.

There's a reason I set this unit up the way I did initially.

> If I do this again, I'm going to need to put a lot more thought into
the
> scenario and tweaking available forces.

A map that permits maneuver might also be nice.

For all my beef with this scenario, I like the format of the game and
would be interested in playing in your next one, if it's a little more
balanced.

John
--Vita Aureliani