Prev: RE: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: RE: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:59:27 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Final Summary [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On 10/9/06, Robertson, Brendan <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

>	 If John had chosen to consolidate and move onto K, it
*probably*
> would have been an easy run due to:
> 1.  Active Satellite recon showing exactly where Hudak troops were
moving;
> 2.  Scouts having located the ambushing tanks;
> 3.  Armoured vehicles in open terrain vs infantry;
> 4.  Most of Hudak's PA being rendered ineffective by that last fight.
> There was always the random factor; including Hudak was laying ambush
> sections of 30-40 round metal plates on chokepoint road sections and
other
> sneaky infantry tricks.

Here's the problem.

The way I read it, I had one tank and 2 IFVs (with understrength
scratch squads in them) to continue the attack, plus a short scout
platoon which isn't intended for a straight-up fight.  Going up
against dug-in infantry I assumed that I'd hit an ambush based on the
fact that in the combat resolution as I was reading it, Hudak's troops
invariably got the drop on mine.  Some cav troopers they turned out to
be--asleep at the switch each and every time a fight started.  So I'd
be out another vehicle or two before I even started to inflict
casualties.

I also, based on GM communications, pretty much figured that if
Hudak's guys were dismounted, then they wouldn't be picked up by
satellite at all.

What would be the point?  You want a fight to the death, hire some
berserks.

As far as I can see, I should have absolutely refused the mission on
day 1.	If I had both scout platoons and all my armor, it would have
been a whole different ball-game.  I would have been able to screen
off that southern town and bypass it completely, and had enough
firepower to get into a fight without suffering catastrophic losses.
I also would have had the ability to maintain a reserve without
reducing my main body to the point that it couldn't defend itself.

In my book, it goes down as a case of stupidity on my part for
underestimating how bad the initial situation was and reacting
accordingly.  An armored cavalry troop should not accept being
bastardized and then sent into urban operations.

As for the intel brief I got, it was entirely wrong in every
particular, which is why I went into that damned town in the first
place.

John
--Vita Aureliani