Prev: Re: [GZG] Everyone's got a piece of the action Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] human mutation was Re: OU and New Cal

Re: [GZG] [DSII][SGII]Snipers in DSII

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:46:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [DSII][SGII]Snipers in DSII

>From: Christopher Downes-Ward
>I've been converting a TOE for my main Stargrunt
>Platoon Headquarters <snip>
>Scout Section of 4 Scout Snipers
>Weapons Section 4 GMS/L Teams of 2 troopers
>4 x Infantry Sections <snip>

What are those snipers doing? Three separate doctrines occur to me:
a. they're scouts.  In that case they should be the equivalent of a
heavy weapon as part of a recon squad. their job is to make contact with
the enemy, so they're mobile. I would call this a marksman rather than a
sniper--see the houserule suggestion at www.stargrunt.ca
b. they're primarily observers, who operate from a fixed position (or
group of hide positions). They call in artillery or airstrikes, but have
a rifle in case they need to deal with a high-priority target right
away. They should operate as solos or pairs (one sniper, one spotter)
and are probably a battalion or higher asset.
c. special forces, probably operating outside artillery support, in
which case the team sniper is probably the team's "artillery".

Prev: Re: [GZG] Everyone's got a piece of the action Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] human mutation was Re: OU and New Cal