Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] [DS] A real world battlegroup Next: [GZG] [DS 2] What am I missing?

RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:56:25 +1000
Subject: RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition

G'day,

> So you support the alternate timeline where Kim Beasley came
> into power and remilitarised Australia to protect it's mineral
> wealth from hordes of Indonesian boat people?

You don't need to bring current politics into something that happens 40+
years into the future. Australia has a long tradition of sticking its
nose into any op that's going down in the near vicinity or further. The
OU being in New Caledonia doesn't need too big an increase, so long as
we're not in the Middle East as well (which is probably still glowing
from the strike in 2027).

Yeah infrastructure needs replacing now, but in the future timeline as
things go pear shaped there is nothing to say that military couldn't
ramp up. We made a tank in WW2 for example so its not completely
impossible.

If the Indonesians ramped up in effectiveness then yes our resources
would be a juicy target for them to aim at - combining more cutting edge
military with sheer weight of numbers and they could give us a headache
(they are already a big threat to our northern natural marine
resources).

The whole point of the timeline though is to create a backdrop for
games, if we can't laugh at how Jon spun the local interactions we don't
get to giggle at the zillionth rant about the US kowtowing to the crown
;)

> Neither NZ or Australia is likely to have the capability to
> manufacture arms in the next 50 years so they would need
> to buy them from somewhere. Historic links suggest their
> gear might will be Anglican.

What kind of arms are you talking about? We're developing new weapons
all the time so I find that statement a bit odd.

> Could be a bit of fun alternate history....

You're not tied to Jon's and even then there is enough slop to spin it
anyway you want. Its suitably vague you can have anything from Aussies
(actually any nation) being the guys on white charges coming in as a
helping hand to keep all the bad guys with big knoves away right through
to being the latest genoicidal conquesting maniacs in human history. Go
wild! ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] [DS] A real world battlegroup Next: [GZG] [DS 2] What am I missing?