Prev: Re: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition Next: [GZG] [DS] A real world battlegroup

RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG]NSLGeopoliticalCompositio n [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:41:20 +1000
Subject: RE: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG]NSLGeopoliticalCompositio n [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Depends on the definition of "manufacture".  The capability is there,
but
contracts go to the lowest bidder and locals firms just don't have the
scale
to compete on a per-unit basis (see the government rationalisation of
the
various navy construction contracts - the capability is getting lower
every
time they tender the work out and plants close).

Based on my reading of local contributions to the Joint Strike Fighter
project, we could probably design and build fighters *now* if the
start-up
investment was made. (Of course the main markets for them already have
their
own major manufacturers and the voters would kill them if they bought
overseas products).

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: Re: OU and New Caledonia - was RE: [GZG] NSL Geopolitical Composition Next: [GZG] [DS] A real world battlegroup