Prev: RE: [GZG]Shiftingplanets [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: [GZG] Hey Indy! I got a Rock for you

Re: [GZG] FT:use of EW in FT games?

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:40:53 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:use of EW in FT games?

?

> Mark said:
>> looking for suggestions of how others use [EW] in their FT games.
>
> Simple version: ECM reduces enemy range bands, as Noam has suggested
> New Israeli stealth. ECCM would counter that. Let's say a NAC vessel
(EW
> rating 4) and allied PAU (EW rating 1) are fighting an IF Amirate ship
(EW
> rating 2).
>
> NAC vs IF: 4 > 2, so normal
> PAU vs IF: 1 < 2, so PAU uses 5" range bands instead of 6" RBs
> IF vs NAC: 2 < 4, IF fires using 4" RBs
> IF vs PAU: 2 > 1, so normal
>
> An alternative is to let a EW bonus give you larger range bands--so
NAC
> would fire at IF with 8" range bands, meaning a Beam 2 could hit out
> 32"--but that is quite a disadvantage for lower-tech ships.

There are a number of existing mechanisms in the rules that can produce
ECM
style effect.
In my game group we use.
Advanced sensors increase the range at which the target is de-blipped
and
can provide more information.
Signature distorters can mask the true size of a ship by making it
appear
larger or smaller.
Stealth reduces the range of weapons and the de-blip.
ECM Jammers, reduces the de-blip range and reduces the range at which
advanced sensors provide the additional information. ECM also reduces
the
lock on range of missiles. Note Jammers can't be combined with stealth
because making more noise isn't stealthy.

All of these systems provide a number of advantages / disadvantages to
players without the need for dice rolling. Because all the systems take
up
mass or add significantly to the cost a high tech ship won't get as much

hull or weapons as the lower tech brick.

John

Prev: RE: [GZG]Shiftingplanets [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: [GZG] Hey Indy! I got a Rock for you