Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:48:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

On 7/27/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu>

> Paining on liquid mask - If I wanted to paint on liquid mask, I'd just
> paint on the paint. :)

This isn't really a reply to John's post. I just wanted to point out a
use for a liquid mask. I've heard a lot of people say that liquid mask
is pretty useless as you still have to paint it on. However, it allows
you to paint over an area you've already painted so that you could
then airbrush over the whole area.

Just thought I'd point that out.

> Pieces of tape.  That's essentially what I was using.  I was actually
> using a thin masking tape made for doing this kind of work on models.
It
> didn't work because the ships are ALL covered in small panels and such
> (makes for nice models, but makes for difficult painting of clean
lines).

One problem people complain about with tape is that there's always
some bleed under the tape, making it less than crisp. I saw a solution
to this on one of those TLC channel home improvement shows.

Step 1: Paint the base colour.

Step 2: Tape the area you want to mask off.

Step 3: Paint over the edge of the tape with the base colour. This
forms a paint seal on the edge of the tape, and the bleed under the
tape is the same colour as the base coat.

Step 4: Paint the unmasked area. It can't bleed under the tape because
of the seal you made in step 3.

Now, I've seen it done with walls with laytex paint. I don't know how
well it will work with acrylics on miniatures.

Allan
--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting tips? Next: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?