Prev: Re: [GZG] Giant combined arms camapaign Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] RE: [GZG] [LST] Yahoo group; official?

[GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:18:05 +0000
Subject: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

Something else we may want to consider.  I think the mailing list is
fine at its current volume of traffic.	But what if the number of posts
and posters were to increase by an order of magnitude?	(Even some small
gaming forums I've seen can get 100+ posts on a slow day.)  Would the
mailing list still be manageable?  This list generally only has 2 or 3
different threads going at one time - what if there were 20-30 different
threads going on?  Would you find it harder to follow the discussions?
I've never been on a list with that much traffic, so I don't know.

I'm not saying that this is likely to happen whether we stay on a list
or move to a forum.  I think we would all agree that having that much
"new blood" involved in the game would be a great thing for GZG, and
therefore for the rest of us. So if moving to a forum becomes a way to
get more people involved in our little virtual community (I don't know
it would be, I'm saying *if*), and conversely a forum becomes the only
way to effectively manage that many people... is switching to a forum a
price we're willing to pay?

I know that's a lot of assumptions, and I can't swear to the validity of
any of them; I'm just thinking out loud.  As I've said, I don't have a
problem with either the list or the forum idea.  (Personally, I've never
had any problems with yahoo groups either, but that's just me.)

Scott

Prev: Re: [GZG] Giant combined arms camapaign Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] RE: [GZG] [LST] Yahoo group; official?