Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there??? Next: Re: [GZG] Giant combined arms camapaign

Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there???

From: "Jaime Tiampo" <fugugaipan@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:03:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there???

> I have always been amazed that the forum software will send you an
e-mail
> that
> a new post has arrived but the won't just send the post.

You can get them to do that, most admins won't bother though.
1) It's a forum, so the expectation is to use the interface and post on
the site
2) It eats up bandwidth and processing to send the emails (I know it's
not
as much as running the board but it can be a factor)
3) You have to do some work to get them usually to do it, and most
admins
are lazy for things with very little return on their time such as that.

I am a member of a forum that does send you the post as part of the
email
if you tell it to when you watch the thread. I do find it handy for
rarely
posted on threads that have specific info coming out.

If this project continues I will be looking into that option. I don't
know
whether you'll be able to post via email or not though. The mod site is
down today due to technical issues so I can't look it up.

> As a point of reference I am a member of the Ad Astra forum.	They are
> lower
> volume
> than the GZG list.  I spent far more time reading and responding there
> than
> I do here.
> I'll agree it's prettier but my time is more valuable than any amount
of
> pretty.

I agree with that, but in my case it's because I just delete most of the
GZG traffic till a thread title that interests me comes up. On the other
hand I have a more pleasant experience using forums.

Jaime

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there??? Next: Re: [GZG] Giant combined arms camapaign