Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there??? Next: Re: [GZG] Forums and lists, oh My!

[OFFICIAL] RE: [GZG] [LST] Yahoo group; official?

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:28:58 +0100
Subject: [OFFICIAL] RE: [GZG] [LST] Yahoo group; official?

Hi all,

I thought I'd best jump in here and explain a couple of things before
this gets unnecessarily heated...  :-/

First off, and most importantly, any confusion that has occurred over
all this is quite probably mostly MY FAULT.
Yes, Jaime did contact me a while back to discuss the the idea of a
forum linked to the GZG website, and (very kindly) offered to put
something together for it and to look after it should it be adopted
as "official". Some time soon after that, as far as Real Life(tm) is
concerned for me, "La merde frappe le ventilateur", (as the French
probably don't say.....) and I found myself so busy with stuff that I
really couldn't get round to thinking about this project any further.
This is not an excuse, BTW, it's an explanation - I SHOULD have given
it some attention, and even when Jaime dropped me an email to say
that he'd got stuff ready for me to look at I still couldn't find the
time to get onto it, I'm ashamed to say.

In between these events, there was the first round of discussion
about the merits of mailing list vs. forums on the list, from which
(as Paul mentioned) the general consensus seemed to be pro-list and
anti-forum. Now, when I originally OK'd Jaime looking at this, my
hope was that the list could happily coexist alongside a forum, and I
really never considered that it would adversely affect the list.
Please remember in all this that I'm not a computer expert, or even
much of an enthusiast - to me it's still very much a typewriter that
doesn't need tippex, with the added advantage that I can look at porn
on it.... er, obviously I mean "do vital research on it...."  ;-)

Now, I just thought I'd better post this now as some sort of an
explanation of how we got to this situation.... I'm still up to my
neck in RL(tm) matters, including moving house sometime in the next
couple of weeks, and at this point I haven't even managed to read all
the list traffic on this subject that has come in over the last few
days - but I've skimmed enough to realise that things were getting a
bit heated, and I didn't want any blame being put in the wrong place
- Mea Culpa on this, and as soon as I've been able to catch up with
the mails and figure out what the overall consensus of opinion is
then maybe we cab sort out what is that best way to go. The bottom
line, for the moment at least, is that I am still VERY much in favour
of the mailing list continuing to do its excellent and entertaining
job, and I wouldn't want to see that threatened by anything new.
However, if we can sort out some kind of additional forum or whatever
that can happily exist alongside it, that would be fine too.

To Jaime - thanks for you efforts so far, sorry if my inattention has
caused any embarrassment, and I'll get back to you as soon as I've
caught up with things; to everyone else, please feel free to continue
comments and discussions on this subject - this email is not to kill
the discussion, just to try and explain what happened and where the
blame, if any, properly lies!  :-/

Thanks for reading,

Jon (GZG)

>  > Might be a very good idea, as it is it does look like an official
GZG