Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there??? Next: RE: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

Re: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

From: "Jaime Tiampo" <fugugaipan@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:40:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

To: The_Beast

I could go and change up the graphics and text to show a test system. I
haven't done so since it's just for testing purposes and has only been
listed on this list as a test site and told to Jon. In the event that he
doesn't want it I'm just going to delete it though.

> Actually what I am starting to wonder is once again a generational
gap.
>  Are the people having difficulty using or following the mailing list
> using webmail? (the most god awful invention ever).
>
> Most modern (as in post 1986) email clients that do honest to god
email
> (you know, POP and IMAP) do threading, filtering, and all sorts of
> goodies that solve all the problems I am hearing.  Many even use fuzzy
> logic in threadings to match subjects where the subject line isn't
> exactly the same though based on content, sender, and times it grasp's
> that it is the same thread (and also does subtreads within threads).
>
> Seriously.
>
> I can't imagine anybody using a email client having the problem
> described on this list.  And no webmail, Outlook Express, and Opera's
> builtin email client are not email clients.
>
> I am geniunely curious.  I have hard time grasping anybody reading
> email (period, even professionally in work) as one monolithic list
> based on send time.

90% of the people I know use web mail. Why? It's portable. I use a
webmail
client (Squirrel Mail) on my own server because of that reason. I do a
lot
of traveling and transfering between computers and this way I always
have
it infront of me.

Once you get off webmail the next big group of people are those that use
the webbrowsers email client and Outlook.

Personally I WANT to use a dedicated email client but these days it's
just
not feasable.

Jaime

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Anyone out there??? Next: RE: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums