Prev: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: RE: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

[GZG] (LST) Re Hooray, the Digest's back and Forum

From: David Billinghurst <davebill@c...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:23:33 +1200
Subject: [GZG] (LST) Re Hooray, the Digest's back and Forum

all the efforts put in by the people who have brought the list server
back up!  Mr Chairman, I propose a round of applause!

Funny, it's only with the deluge of individual e-mails, that I've really
come to appreciate the digest again (once subbed to ANCMED for a week
and then gave up as I was sure my phone line was groaning under the load
- and as it is an underground line, that was a major worry!).

Regarding all the hard work Jamie has done on the Forum - I hope I
didn't sound too negative, as I see a lot of positives in the forum (can
you store photos?  can we finally have a one-place gallery for all the
shots of ships and figures and planets and ringworlds, etc, people have
made up over the years?).

This list is where people hang out and make sheep jokes and debate
missile rules and fighter stuff and fighter delivered exploding sheep,
and it's nice to catch up after a hard day in the real world.  I can see
the forum as being a place where rules amendments are posted in an
easily accessible place, where the more technical debates on aspects of
rules (like the missile debate of late) can be carried out in a space
where, if one wishes to plug in, that particular thread can easily be
traced.  And we can showcase our models and our modeling techniques and
generally do what has been done on a myriad websites, a lot of whom,
alas, have gone defunct as the people involved have moved on.

I joined the forum, possibly because no-one said I couldn't, and because
a number of other people had already done so within hours of Jamie
posting the eddress (don't you people work!), because it looked cool,
and loaded fast on dial-up and was easy to navigate (gotta change the
colours on the sign-up boxes, though - had to wave the mouse around
until I got a hit!).  For some reason I got a mental flash of a camp
cook saying, 'I'm thinking of starting dinner.'  And this little line of
boys whooshing into their seats, demanding to be fed right now! -
possibly watching too much 'Camp Lazlo' on Cartoon Network with my
daughter.

Anyway, I think the Forum could be a real asset, and it's up to all of
us devious and intelligent folks to get the most out of it.  The Armati
Yahoo group and the Armati Warflute Forum run very well in tandem - the
forum's a hell of a lot easier to pick up rule amendments and army lists
from than archive diving on the Yahoo site - do a Google for Warflute
and have a look if you want to see how the list organizers have marked
out the site.

Regards

David

Prev: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: RE: [GZG] Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums