Prev: [GZG] WHOA! Reply, instead, to this [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad... Next: Re: Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

From: Peter Thoenen <eol1@y...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

--- Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> A forum on/attached to the GZG site would be a powerful tool for the
> new
> customer, and I certainly can understand Jon's interest in it.

Ja I know I will never look at it.  I can see how it would be required
from a marketting stand point (lets all admit it, its a generational
thing.	Upcoming markets (ala children) want forums, IM, mod'ing, and
threads.  Email and mailing lists are for us old fogies ;)

I am fine with a forum though as long as Jon (or somebody) still makes
official annoucements (even if limited discussion) on the mailing list.
 I do think we will miss a lot though going to the forums as I believe
lots of folk are like me and dislike them immensely .. guessing many of
the older players.  Such is marketting though and GZG needs to do so I
am assuming.

On a purely operational note, forums are a pain to archive ... you ever
tried to find a forum post stored in a database from 10 years ago.  You
can find mailing lists and usenet posts from decades ago ... forums
just don't get archived, references, or last .. its one of the bigger
problems with them I find (that and "edit" buttons allow people to
retract something they said without anybody knowing or even be edit'ing
by a moderator .. something you rarely see on mailing lists.