Prev: Re: RE: [GZG] Re: Fighter Fixes and Missile Debate Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:41:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

On 6/29/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:12:07 +1200
> From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@xtra.co.nz>

> If people are unhappy about the homing missile issue why are not
people
> picking on the turn sequence that lets two ships fly past each other
with a
> closest approach 3MU away but not fire until the end of the movement
phase
> when the enemy is out of arc and or range.

Oh, rest assured that they have been picked on.

I first tried to fix this issue in my Full Steam rules (rules for
Russo-Japanese War battles based on FT). The only way that I could do
it was to change movement such that it was phased.

Now, phased movement _did_ work in that context. It also allowed me to
do away with written orders. I tried two different methods:

METHOD 1
1. Roll for initiative. Winner chooses to move first or second.
2. 1st player moves all of his ships up to half their movement
allowance.
3. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
4. 2nd player moves all of his ships up to their full movement.
5. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
6. 1st player moves all of his ships up to half their movement.
7. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
8. Damage control rolls are made.

This method actually works well with written orders, but it is slower
than regular FT.

METHOD 2
1. Roll for initiative. Winner chooses to move first or second.
2. 1st player moves all of his ships up to 1/4 their movement allowance.
3. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
4. 2nd player moves all of his ships up to half their full movement.
5. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
6. 1st player moves all of his ships up to half their movement.
7. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
8. 2nd player moves all of his ships up to half their full movement.
9. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
10. 1st player moves all of his ships up to 1/4 their movement
allowance.
11. Both players choose whether or not to fire. They mark fired ships
as having been activated.
12. Damage control rolls are made.

This method doesn't work well with written orders as it is too slow.

Without written orders, you have to completely rewrite the salvo
missile rules. Method 1, therefore, is the only one of the two that
really works for FT. Since I was doing pre-dreadnoughts I didn't have
that problem.

Noam posted a suggested solution to this problem on the playtest list.
I have not tested it.

> If you want some simple suggestions to make issiles more "homing"
allow them
> to make endurance burs after ship moves.

As Jon pointed out, he's working on rules that could fix this problem.
Folks just need to hang tight a little bit.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: RE: [GZG] Re: Fighter Fixes and Missile Debate Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update