Prev: [GZG] ?? on Jumpdistance (great and knowledgeable Nyrath) Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:00:21 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@hyperbear.com>
> For every PSB there is a counter-PSB: Couldn't you say ships have a
> laser-absorbing coating that absorbs the energy from a targeting laser
> and stores the energy in batteries? Beams, etc. might cook away this
> coating, but the coating is good enough to make targeting lasers a
> thing of the past.
>
> Or, if that PSB isn't to your liking: if screens can make it harder to
> hit with beams, presumably screens also make targeting lasers less
> useful.

I just don't buy either of these.  For heavy missiles, maybe.  For salvo

missiles?  When the range on them is roughly half that of contemporary
beam
weapons, I just don't buy that.  Pick your methods, whether it's by
laser
guidance from the mothership or by beaming a guidance signature from the

mother ship by transmitting to the missile instead of painting the
target
with a beam, or whatever... it just doesn't make sense.  By all means,
throw
ECM in there to make it more interesting to try to figure out which
target
is which or screens that make it harder to paint the target with a laser

guidance system or whatever, but SOMETHING ought to still work better
than
"put it in a general area and hope it's the way they go."

Prev: [GZG] ?? on Jumpdistance (great and knowledgeable Nyrath) Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update