Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: [GZG] ?? on Jumpdistance (great and knowledgeable Nyrath)

Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: Zoe and Carmen Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:28:26 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
> Zoe said:
>
>>For most of such a weapon's lifetime after firing, it merely goes to a
pre-planned point, whereupon it activates its homing mechanism, and
starts looking for a target that matches its pre-programmed parameters.

> Will that necessarily be the case when there are no horizons? Even if
a launching ship can't keep a laser focused tightly enough to burn its
target, isn't there a pretty good chance it could designate the target
for a missile?

Ah, but then there may be all sorts of PSB about spatial distortion due
to manuover drives being present, etc etc.

Me, I like to have an "optional rule" that states that any time two
ships exist, where neither have an activated manouver drive nearby, and
where the target is civilian (without ecm etc), then any beam shot has
unlimited range, always hits, and always rolls a 6. Add +4 to succeeding

die rolls.

This never actually happens of course.

The game mechanics can be assumed to have lots of PSB factors built in
to them. Otherwise how can beams miss, and how can they not do immense
damage when they hit? I assume that a turn of firing consists of
multiple shots, some of which miss due to spatial distortion or decoys
or whatever PSB you choose.

The point is - the game's the thing. We have "borrowed" concepts from
existing reality, fighters, torpedos, missiles etc and have used
real-world examples as models of how they work. But really, you can PSB
just about anything. The idea is to have a set of simple game mechanics,

leading to an enjoyable game, which don't snap anyone's disbelief
suspenders.

Zoe

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: [GZG] ?? on Jumpdistance (great and knowledgeable Nyrath)