Prev: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:55:43 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Zoe said:
>For most of such a weapon's lifetime after firing, it merely goes to a
pre-planned point, whereupon it activates its homing mechanism, and
starts looking for a target that matches its pre-programmed parameters.

Will that necessarily be the case when there are no horizons? Even if a
launching ship can't keep a laser focused tightly enough to burn its
target, isn't there a pretty good chance it could designate the target
for a missile?

I think we shold also unpack this into two separate issues. Should
homing missiles be guaranteed to the right general area (assuming they
have fuel, of course)? Once they arrive in the neighborhood, should they
be guaranteed to get to the right target?

I think they answer for #1 should be "yes"--if the target does P2+2
instead  of the S1-3 that I was expecting, the missile should still home
in to the right area(either on its own or under the launching ship's
guidance).

For #2, I don't mind if a banzai jammer spoofs or seduces the
missile--although I'd rather have it be based on a ECM/ECCM rolloff
instead of a simple "which one is closest", so a tramp freighter isn't
as good at it as a first-line escort/EW frigate, and so that frigate
still has a chance even if it's on the wrong side of the target.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update