Prev: Re: RE: [GZG] re: Sheep con Queso Next: Re: [GZG] (OT?) X-Treme Hobby...

Re: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:49:59 +0200
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

John Tailby wrote:

>Why would range of engagement with a missile affect it's chance of a
>hit?  I can see situations where missiles have a harder chance locking
on
>up close than they do at a distance. Missile chance to hit would likely
be
>a function of sensor lock from parent ship - ECM with distance a
neutral
>factor.

In reality, you mean? The longer the missile has to fly to reach its
target
the more time the target's ECM has to break its target lock and/or
simply
outmanoeuvre the missile; and the farther away the the missile's parent
ship is from the target, the greater the time lag on its sensor returns
becomes and the less up-to-date the targetting data the parent ship can
send to the missile will be. Distance is far from neutral for missile
engagements.

>What feel do you want with your missiles?
>If you use a couple of 20 century models as examples.
>If you want the game to feel like 20C naval warfare then your missile
>speed / engagement envelope needs to be much larger than the speed of
the
>ships. Missiles lauched today are thousands of times faster than the
speed
>of a warship

Er... if you used a little less hyperbole and shaved a zero or two off
from
that "thousands", your example would probably be more convincing.

A missile "thousands of times faster" than the warship it is targetting
would fly at speeds of Mach 50+ (at sea level, since that's where most
of
today's warships tend to be located). Not even solid anti-tank
projectiles
can fly that fast without melting within a fraction of a second...

Actual anti-ship missile speeds today are generally in the Mach 0.5 - 3
range; the fastest Russian supersonic ship-killers might go up to Mach
5,
but that's *really* extreme.

IOW, typical missiles today fly 10-50 times faster than the ships they
are
targetting. Still a big difference compared to the anti-air situation
where
missiles could even be *slower* than their would-be targets on occasion,

but the gap to direct-fire weapons is even larger.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: RE: [GZG] re: Sheep con Queso Next: Re: [GZG] (OT?) X-Treme Hobby...