Prev: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s Next: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s

Re: [GZG] [FT] ?? on Streamlining as of FB1

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 13:59:09 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] ?? on Streamlining as of FB1

Doc Agren wrote (in a horribly formatted post that took me a while to
get
into a readable format):

>Okay, Now that Streamlining cost Mass have the requirements of Thrust 4

>for Full and Thrust 6 for Partial, been dropped that in More Thrust?
Or
>do you still need the engine thrust?	Thanks for imput on this

This has been discussed several times on this list in the past (an
archive
search for "streamlining" should find most those threads), but IIRC it
pretty much comes down to how much accel you consider "1 thrust point"
to be.

If "1 thrust point" = 1G (a common but by no means universal assumption
among FT players), then even a thrust-1, non-streamlined ship would
theoretically be capable of landing safely on Earth (safely for the ship

itself that is, not necessarily for the rest of the planet) - it'd take
quite a while, and it probably wouldn't be able to take off again
without
some external help (it'd need slightly *more* than 1G of thrust for
that),
but it *would* be able to "float" down to the ground slowly enough to
avoid
getting burned up by the friction. With thrust points this big I'd
expect
the main effect of spaceship streamlining to be a limit on how fast a
ship
can move and still safely enter an atmosphere - un-streamlined ships
would
have to move *very* slowly and rely on raw engine power to lower
themselves
essentially vertically, while streamlined ships could enter the
atmosphere
at an angle, "skip-brake" and glide down to the surface much like
today's
space shuttles do.

I'm afraid that this answer didn't help you very much, did it...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s Next: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s