Prev: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics) Next: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

Re: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:13:32 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

AllanG said:
>One question: why would they build it? You'd need to answer that.
>
>I'm not saying there shouldn't be a power in the Tuffleyverse that
>exists only in habitats and on small chunks of rock. I'm just saying
that I'd prefer a reason for it being there other than, "A space habitat
society would be cool!"

The Prince Henry Corporation was created in the early days of FTL travel
to explore other solar systems. It was an extrememly risky venture and
several ships were lost; however, several ships returned home with
survey data. UN regulations meant that only recognized countries (or
blocs) could claim habitable planets, so PH Corp sold most of the data
(mainly to the PAU and IF) for an extrememly healthy profit. PH Corp
then established a shipping route to transport colonists to the IF
planets; Alarish was built (on a gas giant moon) as a waystation and
refueling point. Most later Alarishi habs were built into existing moons
or asteroids; although a few (one of the Forward Power stations, New LA,
maybe Turing Republic) were not.