Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns? Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@p...>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:28:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

john tailby wrote:
> In order to answer your questions you need to define some more
parameters.
> How much of the campaign do you want to be about the economics of
> running an empire and how complex do you want that to be?
> At one end of the scale you have an economic management game where the

> winner is the one with the most money (Kind of like playing acquire
but
> then using the fleets to fight the takeovers)  or are you looking for
> something more like one of the big boardgames with lots of fleet
counters.

> Also what is the timescale your desired game? If turns are a few days
or
> weeks then you don't need to worry about building new ships,
> introduction of new technologies or repairs because you won't have
time
> in your campaign to do much of these things.
>
> If you have strategic turns of a year then you could build new ships,
> introduce new technologies and ship classes and the drain on the
economy
> would be very important.
>
> One thing that isn't discussed in the FT universe is how ships move
> strategically. Are some ships faster in hyperspace or are all ship the

> same? In our campaigns we have strategic speed proportional to main
> drive rating. We found this gives people a good blend between the
choice
> of having a slower moving battlewagon and faster light ships.
>
> Interesting to see where you want to draw the line.

	Very good questions.

	I see room for two types of strategic games.

	One is the simplistic superficial kind who's
	basic focus is to generate scenarios for
	Full Thrust games.

	The other would be an in-depth economic, production,
	and perhaps technological research game, where
	minor battles could be replaced by a simplistic
	non-miniatures combat resolution and only
	major battles fought with miniatures.

	The first kind could be the short-timescale
	game where there was no production of new ships
	nor researching new technologies.  The timescale
	granularity would be determined by ship speed.
	Probably find the distance between the closest
	pair of stars, look at the slowest possible ship,
	and set the scale so that ship can make that
	transit in one turn.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns? Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?