Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PAU-IF Invasion route Next: Re: [GZG] Saieed Khalifate

Re: Re: [GZG] Saieed Khalifate

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@v...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:33:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Saieed Khalifate

>If we're going with the "IF are on the far side of Known Space, and
have
>aTranslated into basest possible terms: this IF would still have raving

>nutters, but they don't run the *entire* show, and the SK has a much
higher
>percentage of raving nutters...(the IF's real raving nutters would tend
>defect to the SK, anyway)
It also lets the IF be something other than "Taliban in Space", which is

frankly more interesting...

That's more or less what I had in mind. Canon says the IF had a
revolution.
I've assumed that Phase I was the True Believers kicking out the Corrupt

Royalists; Phase II was apragmatic general becoming the "Protector of
the
Khalif" in the same way the Shogun controlled the Japanese Emperor. The
result was that the Khalif became a revered religious figure with almost
no
power, while the secular Sultan runs the show.

Religion is still a major component (it's the *Islamic* Federation,
after
all) but not rabidly so for the vast majority. Those who are nutters
don't
move to the SK (who are heretics); they join ghazi ("those who fight for

glory", which I'd translate to Volunteer Brigades) or fedayeen
("adventurers", which I'm calling Special Forces) units. I don't recall
that
the IF is openly at war with anyone in canon but has run covert
assassination ops against ESU and NAC.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PAU-IF Invasion route Next: Re: [GZG] Saieed Khalifate