Prev: Re: [GZG] Dirtside2 (and others) - Alternates for counters Next: Re: [GZG] Dirtside2 (and others) - Alternates for counters

RE: [GZG] Dirtside2 (and others) - Alternates for counters

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:10:58 -0600
Subject: RE: [GZG] Dirtside2 (and others) - Alternates for counters

group have done something similar for other games - broken wheels and
axels mounted on a small stand to represent mobility disabled vehicles,
small brown clouds of cotton attached to rare earth magnets to show
"under fire/suppression" (the magnets attach to the steel washers that
our figures are mounted on).  In addition, leader figures can be marked
with small gold bars or circles (more rare-earth magnets).

Some people in our group have gone to the extreme of using Hero-Clix
bases, taken off the figure and remounted their own stand and also
replaced the paper insert inside to reflect the game they were playing.
When the status of a unit changes, they just click it down to the
appropriate level.  This is a little tedious and fiddly as you are
constantly picking up figs, rather than just counters.

I wanted to have small white cotton clouds (smoke grenades) to represent
morale level, once you hit 4 cotton clouds, you'd really pop smoke and
bug out, but I haven't found a good compromise between size and looks -
too small and you don't notice them, but much larger than 3/8" and 2-3
of them look odd.

Other people have used a magnetic command stand with a specially mounted
aluminum tube (about ½" tall) and use that to stick in pennants
(triangle shaped flags) mounted on thin wire.  It's a little video-gamey
or medieval Japanese (Sashimono) in appearance, but doesn't look as bad
as plain chits.  It is a lot of work though to crank out dozens of
different colored flags.

--Binhan