Prev: Re: Re: Please ignore previous on Knights... Re: Re: [GZG] [FT]NACcampaign setup Next: Re: Re:[GZG] [FT] Tactical jump

Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:07:19 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

Allan Goodall wrote:

>(Oerjan, want to comment on protection due to berms and hills? How
>easy is it, currently to hit a target that is hull down?

Once the vehicle has been spotted by the enemy, it is nearly as easy to
hit
as if it had been in the open. The main benefit of going hull down is
that
the vehicle gets harder for the enemy to spot before it opens fire - so
whether or not it should get a protective bonus for being in cover
(signature die shift, secondary target's die, whatever) depends on
whether
or not you assume that the SG2 "to-hit" roll includes spotting as well
as
the aiming-and-pressing-the-trigger part of shooting. (I do make that
assumption - without it there's no real reason why Size/1 vehicles would
be
significantly harder to hit than Size/5 ones either - but I know others
who
don't.)

>How could you handle missiles,
>which have the defending vehicle rolling an ECM die and don't take
>cover or range into account at all?)

I'd ignore the SG2 GMS mechanic completely, and instead treat them
pretty
much as any other direct-fire weapon - albeit with an extra UP shift for

being guided and extra DOWN shifts for the target's ECM.

> >3- About smoke again, is the smoke cloud created at 6" or up to 6"?
>
>The rules specifically state 6". I understand there are modern
>vehicles that can vary the range at which a smoke cloud appears, and
>60 metres away seems awfully distant to me.

Sounds pretty accurate to me... but the SG2 vehicle-launched smoke
screens
do seem rather narrow; IIRC real-world smoke screens tend to extend some

50-70 metres to either side of the vehicle (so the SG2 screen would
consist
of 5-7 2mu-wide cotton balls, rather than the 3 currently allowed).

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.