Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Star Wars Next: Re: [GZG] Biology in a vacuum

RE: [GZG] Biology in a vacuum

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:16:17 -0600
Subject: RE: [GZG] Biology in a vacuum

Beth wrote on 03/26/2006 10:13:38 PM:

> G'day,
>
> >  After all, the difference between temperatures and pressures found
in
> > the deepest trench, or active floor vent, and the near surface of
the
> ocean
> > could be seen as extreme as between sea level and outer space....
>
> Problem is I can't think of a single large bodied (over say 8-10cm
total
> size) that can come up from the abyssal plain, let alone trenches and
> survive. They tend to pop, or invert (nothing like having you insides
> out to kill you off). That's ignoring cellular level damage that
occurs
> on exposure to vacuum.

***SNIP***

Didn't mean to imply there was, though even as large as four inches
impresses me.

Point I was hoping to make was that such extremes don't require the step
into outer space to challenge bio-engineering. Never meant that it could
be
done 'off the shelf'.

I'd hoped I'd covered the 'exposure to vaccum' by suggesting
bio-mechanisms
to keep the cells from exposure.

Anyway, I'll quit slugging from ignorance, now.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Star Wars Next: Re: [GZG] Biology in a vacuum