Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines Next: RE: [GZG] Web page updates

Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:10:43 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

Passive sensors are pretty straight-up 36 MU range.  If your mines
aren't
giving off a real energy signature that seperates them from a rock in
deep
space, there's not much that would say you'd detect them.

This reminds me of a concept I came up with a while back that I thought
was
a bit cute (although perhaps a bit implausible).  We were doing a
storyline
that didn't allow for cloaking fields, so instead of those we came up
with a
ship concept where the ship would use ECM with minimum emissions while
it
trailed behind a comet and let its sensor signature get broken up by the

comet's tail, perhaps using gentle nudges of thrust with several of the
ships on the comet itself so that you didn't have to wait a literally
astronomical amount of time to get in-system.  We were playing this
primarily in an intra-system warfare scenario so the FTL jumps weren't a

factor, otherwise the FTL into the system might give them warning that
something was out there depending on whether your PSB allows for
detecting
jumps into the system no matter how far away.  But the general idea was
that
the "comet chasers" would nudge the comet fast enough and then just
float in
behind it, invisible to a defender's sensors in the mass and tail of the

comet, and then come out in the open only when they were close enough to
the
target planet that the majority of the defenders would probably be
powered
down and/or asleep.

Probably not the most plausible of things, but I thought it was
original, at
least.