Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Mines

Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:45:22 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Hillsgrove" <mikeah@cablespeed.com>

> Modern Mines are floating (or anchored on bottom) torpedo tubes with a
> sensor package.  When a target meeting parameters is detected, the
torp is
> launched. No reason that a Futuristic "mine" could not detect and not
> launch
> at an friendly IFF response.	No reason to assume that a mine doesn't
have
> the same range that any torp from any ship has.  This gives the
minefield
> an
> incredible reach - as it would today if sea control mines were ever
> deployed.

A modern torpedo has a range of a few kilometres and without the wire
guidance from a submarines it has to rely on its own active sonar to
acquire
its target. If you would want to deny an area of the pacific ocean to
the
enemy you would need millions of mines. Most mines are located in narrow

choke points of land and are designed to attack shipping. Trying to deny
a 3
dimensional area against submarine, shipping and air targets required
the
weapons system to have a much greater capability than is current.

In game terms it also comes down to detection range. If mines have the
same
sensor capabilities as starships then they can engage at starship type
ranges. However this makes the mines expensive to build and deploy and
capable of counter detection by the ship. The ship loses nothing by not
scanning with active sensors and or scouting with fighter groups if
defence
are suspected.

Its most likely that mines would have smaller sensors than a ship ( only
so
much you can pack on a mine). So a torpedo would have a much smaller
attack
and detection range than the ship.

In game terms, do the missiles get initial guidance and vectoring from
the
launch vessel and only their terminal guidance (the 6" attack move) is
due
to onboard sensors or does the missile have the detection capability of
the
starship?

The idea I like  to trap an area would be to bait it. Either you can
bait
the area with sensor emissions and transmissions. A mayday call or 2
would
do nicely and then once you have the enemy vessel in the middle of the
field
you hit them with EMP or needle beams and direct fire weapons. You EMP
the
engines so they can't leave and then cut down the ship. Ideally
something
that kills the crew would be best. Then you have more bait for the next
ship. The greedy / inquisitive some up at a nice slow speed to board the

derelict vessel and then the mines attack.

Because you control the enemy movements you don't need so many mines.

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Mines