Prev: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

RE: [GZG] [Way OT] Re: Pumas - purring, roaring and allergies

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:34:56 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] [Way OT] Re: Pumas - purring, roaring and allergies

G'day,

> Big cats have some bone in their throat or somewhere thereabouts so
they cannot purr....

That's what I meant abiut definition of a purr. Small cats can on in and
out, big cats only on exhale (as far as I can remember though I could
have it back to front). Also as far as I remember the bone and (how it
effects major bloody vessel vibration) allows big cats to roar but
prevents the continuous purr. Whereas small cats don't have the same
larynx structure so can't roar but can purr.

And Pratchett was right they are bastards. Our pair of 14 yoear old
moggies (who failed miserably as child prevention surrogates over a
decade ago) proved this over Christmas by costing me $1000 in care
before turning up their toes from terminal old age. Though not as bad as
one of the many shed cats we had as a kid who was lovingly called QANTAS
because he always sent you for a trip (almost inevitably into a milk or
water bowl or cow pat).

Doesn't bode well for how well we wold be treated by any feline alien
(pronouncable name or not). I was wondering though if any comedic sci-fi
writer had played up on the potential problem of cat allergies in alien
interactions?

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX