Prev: [GZG] DS3??? Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

Re: [GZG] Timescales

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:43:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Timescales

On 3/19/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:47:15 +0100
> From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com>

> Quoting the SG2 rulebook, page 5, "Timescale":

<<snippage>>

> I agree that the 5-minute turn doesn't make sense either from a
movement
> rate or a rate of fire point of view, but it is what the rules
themselves
> claim.

Yes, but Oerjan you left out the part that was relevant to what Tom
was saying. First of all, in the quoted text you left out a bit:

"If it is necessary to determine how long a battle has lasted in game
terms (eg. it is part of a campaign)..."

And, quoting the SG2 rulebook, page 5, "Timescale":

"Although a game turn might contain only a few sections of actual
combat, the full turn may safely be assumed to occupy one or even
several minutes of elapsed time."

I talking with others on the list, and in reading what Jon has stated,
I always believed -- like Tom -- that the SG2 game turn was some
nebulous, changing time frame that ran from about 1 minute to 5
minutes. Jon has said this on at least one occasion, that an SG2 turn
is not a fixed amount of time. The part you quoted where it said that
a turn was 5 minutes I always took as a rough guess for those who
wanted a simple calculat for the purposes of a campaign or the like.

I don't think you are wrong (the part that says a turn is five minutes
is pretty clear), but I don't think Tom is wrong either (the part that
says a turn is 1 minute to several minutes is pretty clear, too.)

Oh, and don't expect Tom to reply, as he has dropped off this list and
the playtest list, or is at least planning to.

Allan

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: [GZG] DS3??? Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX