Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB Next: RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:08:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB

> When setting up a FT battle, the two forces usually set up  within
> 60-96 mu; they usually don't know what the other side has brought
> until it shows up on the table; and everyone usually starts at
> relatively slow speeds ((less than 20, say, and often 6-12mu/turn),
> and in tight formation if they wish.
>
> Anyone have any suitable PSB to explain this?

Well, this is the way it's often run, though the whole sensor issue is
part
of the advanced/optional section. I'll have to ignore this, as it's been
VERY contentious in the past. Even current optics offer combatants
better
intel, though I've held that any sensor had the possibility of defeat,
and
waxing and waning of either side is an interesting part of history.

Chris, remember back in '98 when you reminded me of the editor of the
The
Future of War series being Reginald Bretnor? I think back then, I was
talking about one of the articles in one of the three books.
Unfortunately,
that seems to be the one book I can't find presently, so I can't give
specifics.

However, the thrust of the article was that for ships to fight, the
situation would have to be voluntary on both sides. Weapons would be so
short ranged and require such long times-on-target that tactical evasion
would be relatively easy. I just assumed, for FT's sake, that was unless
you had some place you REALLY had to go. Attack could not occur unless
the
attacker was willing to face the defender.

Course, I also recall the opinion that reaction mass would be so limited
as
leave all participants floating hulks, mission kills, if you will. Nice
thing about PSB, you usually get to pick and chose.

To evade is to change direction, and to do that you surrender
initiative.
I'm pretty sure the numbers would disagree, but I'm doing PSB, right?

Frankly, I'd prefer options for oblique and even crossing-the-T action
starts; at the last possible moment, one or the other commander gets the
drop on the other. I guess, with the preponderance of forward facing
weapons, you'd WANT your T crossed. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB Next: RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX