Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:04:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

> > Grant Ladue wrote:
> >
> > >I imagine that
> > >I don't have the best grasp of modern combat, but is smoke really
the
> only
> > >way that recon units break contact?
> >
> > There are two ways to break contact (for any unit, not just recon):
> >
> > 1) Kill or chase off all enemies in sight, or
> >
> > 2) Move out of sight of all enemies, preferrably by moving behind
some
> > LoS-blocking terrain feature. If there is no such terrain feature
close
> > enough to let you get behind it quickly, deploy a smoke screen to
buy
> the
> > extra seconds you need to get out of sight.
> >
> > For light recon units option 1) is rarely practical, so they usually
> have
> > to resort to option 2) instead :-/
> >

>     I wonder if it was the inability to pop smoke for our units that
> dragged
>   out the firefights.  We ended up in firefight where neither side was
all
> that
>   likely to damage the other.  Two of my tanks were damaged, so at 1/2
> move
>   they were hideously slow.  Took 5 or more rounds to get behind
cover.	I
>   dunno.  It seems odd in retrospect.  Has there been much playtesting
>   *without* smoke capable units?

I thought there was a 'go to ground' method for breaking up a firefight,
ducking into one of those too-small-for-the-table undulations in the
terrain. Of course this would immediately end your movement, but it is
an
option to take. IIRC the humans did it a couple of times (or maybe I'm
misremembering; John?)

> > >Yeah, I think get that.  How fast are those grav tanks moving in
their
> > >"big move" though? The gap they were crossing was about 6 or 7
inches
> wide.
> > >Some piece of me feels like they should have been able to blow
across
> it
> > >without being forced into an extended combat.
> >
> > A Combat Move of 12 mu equals a speed of 135 mph (216 km/h). If the
gap
> is
> > only 6-7 mu wide a grav tank moving that fast can easily avoid
> *extended*
> > combat by simply using its first Combat Move in the FireFight to
move
> out
> > of the gap, but it can't escape *all* enemy fire - enemy units on
> Overwatch
> > will get one shot at it before it can move away.
> >
>     Hmm, I think the grav tanks only move 3.5 inches at at time
undamaged
> in
>   the firefight.  Perhaps they were unusually slow in combat.  I
didn't
> seem
>   wrong for movement *towards* the enemy, but seemed slow for breaking
>   cover.  Perhaps when running for cover and not shooting at the
enemy,
> the
>   units should move faster?

I don't remember what the engine/movement rating we gave the grav tanks
in
the Friday night game. I think we wanted to keep the speeds down a
*little*,
so we made them slow grav tanks. This was to help offset a little the
heavy
punch the K'V tanks had vs the H'Ms

Mk

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX