Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:43:03 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

> > Ok, I found the following SSD's. I'll assume that this refers to the
> new
> > support ships, and merely extends their own names to the mostly
> generic
> > ships.
> >
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~stub/Full%20Thrust5.html
>
> Well, that's one fellow's website and one fellow's opinions.	He's put
> some work into it, but we're all free to decide for ourselves if it
fits
> the game universe we play in.
>
> I guess Grant can be reassured he didn't miss a major GZG posting or
> publication.

   Indeed.  I was wondering.  :-)

   My personal take on "supplies" is that I think engines have to be
 reactionless or nearly so.  Otherwise you have to start worrying about
 ship's mass changing over time, which is a major pain.  I would think
that
 "fuel" is maybe reactor mass or something, which isn't consumed in huge

 quantities like reaction mass.  I would think the major components of
supply
 for most SF ships would be personnel, spare parts, and consumable
resources
 like food and missiles.

   Still, if someone wanted to worry about "engine fuel" in a campaign,
more
 power to them.  I'd resist it being part of the standard game setup
though.

  grant

 (ps. It would probably not be unreasonable to consider the
mass/acceleration
  for small ships before and after they launched big things like
missiles.
  Of course, it would probably also be reasonable to allow missiles to
be
  mounted outside of ship as well outside of the normal mass
restrictions of
  construction.  Then you'd have slow missile carriers that sprint away
after
  launch.  Probably a viable "real world" tactic.  )

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q