Prev: RE: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:44:37 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance

Oh, and Mr. Brewer, I've not figured out how you've applied the numbers.
If
I were Sherlock, it'd be a three pipe analysis, at the least.

However, a few items of consideration:

Space is frictionless: Some of your observation may have not entered
fully
into your thoughts. A ship in the ocean has to burn full to maintain a
certain speed. A space ship doesn't have to; it merely thrusts up to the
proper velocity, then coasts.

Now, the more you burn, the faster you get there. Fastest arrival,
barring
special cases like movement in and through gravity wells, which is
probably
the only important non-warp movement, is +MD all the way. Of course,
that
means you'll be really moving by the time you arrive, so let's say best
time to rendevous is +MD half the way there, then -MD the other half.

The gravity wells comment is not trivial; much energy is necessary to
extend out of one, and as much to enter, if you are planning on staying.
And, in a star system, you are in several overlapping wells, the effect
may
vary greatly as you pass between. My extreme admiration for those, and
there are some on the list, that have to work out orbital mechanics.
Great
minds have been reduced to pudding.

Finally, if you are doing cinematic movement because you are a HUGE
trekkie, such as moi, then ALL bets are off, since the MD is actually
supposedly tactical warp, and do you have good figures on the fuel
necessary to maintain a static warp bubble? ;->=

I WILL be studying your suggestions, though, as campaigns have always
fascinated me. Unfortunately, I tinker with systems, but never get
anyone
to play in my worlds...

The_Beast

Prev: RE: [GZG] [FT] Fuel, Starship endurance Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q