Prev: Re: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: RE: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:50:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
>
> >> The 2nd DS3 game at the recent ECC was finished in less than *1*
full game turn - the defenders' morale collapsed before all the
attacking units had had a chance to activate even once...

> > Which seems a bit odd.  I'd rather have a game which usually goes
4-6 turns, I think, and perhaps shorter turns, although I confess I
don't know how I'd do that.

   I have to admit, I would like to see more turns as well.  Right now,
I'm
 hoping that more experience with the system helps move this along, but
I'm
 not sure yet that that is the case.
   I still think that the idea of a "continuing" firefight has merit.  I
would
 allow other units to join in, and allow forces in the firefight to roll
 "force" other units into the firefight.  Then resolve the firefight in
the
 next turn.  This would allow the game to keep moving, but still keep
the move
 and firefight concepts.  Perhaps only newly started firefights would be

 allowed to continue (ie you finsh them in the next turn).  Perhaps you
can
 define a "combat zone" around units already in the firefight, and
anyone that
 enters that zone gets sucked in.  That would allow units to screen each
other
 and make choke points important (since the first unit stopped at the
point
 would suck everyone else in).

> Well, there *could* have been more turns if folks hadn't just jumped
into
> combat. ;)  Recon can take a few turns if it's done at all.  One
> additional issue is that hidden units/sighting rules have not been
> fleshed out, so recon is still not a necessity.  Assuming that in
order to
> get a better feel for where to do a push, you sent in recon units and
> needed multiple activations for each of them, you could quickly eat up
> turn or two before sending in one or more companies to hammer the foe.

> That said, I find that in many cases recon becomes an activation or
two,
> if it's done at all. ;)

   How would recon work with a firefight?  Should the other guy shooting
at
 your recon elements force them into combat?  In retrospect, one of the
odd
 things to me from the game on Sunday morning was that my grav tanks
were so
 fast in one mode and *so* slow in the other mode.  My unit was flashing
past
 a gap, but were forced to come virtually to a stop when fired upon.  I
know
 there is some justification for that, but I'm wondering if there
shouldn't be
 a way to "shoot the gaps" as it were.	I'm thinking that a recon unit
would
 not necessarily stop and fire back, but would be more likely to
maintain speed
 to cover.  Not sure about that though.

   Say, how do very large units like Ogres work with firefights?  Does
shooting
 at one element on a big vehicle allow everything to shoot back?

   Grant

Prev: Re: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q Next: RE: [GZG] DSIII q