Prev: RE: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26 Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:53:03 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Back from last week's business trip, I'm slowly working my way through
this
thread...

To summarize:

************************
Grant's concerns about "down time" in games with multiple players per
side
are quite valid; but like I wrote a couple weeks ago we haven't been
able
to work out any "sure-fire" solution for them. For the reasons I posted
back then I don't think that limiting FireFights to X rounds will help
much
(it is much too easy to circumvent such a limitation if you want to);
but
like Bob suggested firm guidance from a GM or equivalent should handle
most
of the problems. We'll keep working on this issue.

************************
Yes, the artillery rules allow for "smart" or "brilliant" munitions -
though note that such munitions aren't quite as intelligent as some
people
believe; they still need to be told both what kind of targets to look
for
and roughly where to look for them... and if their targetting criteria
are
badly chosen, their performance can be extremely erratic :-/

The main problem with the DS3 artillery rules is not that we haven't had

time to think about how to model various fancy tech gadgets, but that we

are modelling too *many* of them. At their peak the artillery rules were

over 20 pages long (more than a quarter of the total DS3 rules corpus at

the time), and that's *way* too much to be playable - so we're working
on
simplifying them enough to be usable. The trick is to simplify them
enough
*without* losing a lot of detail :-/

Writing notes specifying how each Impact Marker is to be interpreted
works
OK as long as there are only a few Impact Markers, but it gets quite
messy
when there are many artillery elements involved (eg. when each infantry
platoon has its own light mortar).

************************
In spite of the name, DS3 isn't very much like DS2. In many respects
(turn
sequence and movement rates in particular) the two games are very
different
indeed, and getting them mixed up often makes it difficult to make
relevant
suggestions :-( For example, some of Binhan Lin's suggestions look very
much as if they're based on DS*2* experience rather han on DS3:

- Setting up the opposing forces closer to each and/or allow one-off
pre-battle "rapid redeployment" moves make good sense in DS2 where even
"fast" units like grav tanks only move a little over a foot per game
turn,
but these suggestions have virtually no effect on how likely DS*3* units

are to get into action simply because DS3 movement rates are so much
higher. Even a slow tracked tank can move several feet across the table
in
a single game turn if it needs to; and IIRC the fastest grav vehicles in

John Lerchey's games at the ECC could move up to 390 inches (ie. almost
11
*yards*) in a single DS3 move (*in addition* to any combat moves they
might've made that game turn before, during and/or after their own
activation...!).

- Similarly DS*2* players might spend the first 3-4 turns jockeying for
position (or simply moving into weapons range of the enemy!), but so far

most DS3 games played have been fought to a conclusion in 3 game turns
or
less. The 2nd DS3 game at the recent ECC was finished in less than *1*
full
game turn - the defenders' morale collapsed before all the attacking
units
had had a chance to activate even once...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26 Next: Re: Re: [GZG] DSIII q