Prev: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 30 Next: RE: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 26

Re: [GZG] Satellite imagery

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@t...>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:12:07 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Satellite imagery

Sure, but my point is that there are other, more important reasons than
range that make geosynchronous orbits sub-optimal for recon satellites.
The fact that you are fixed above a given point is a big negative.
The fact that most of the planet is either at a bad viewing angle or
is completely occulted is also a big negative.
Long range is just another nail in the coffin, IMO.

Cheers,
Tony C.

On 10-Mar-06, at 5:40 PM, Eric Foley wrote:

> Well, the exact PSB you decide to use isn't really that important.  At

> some point, one has to keep in mind that we're discussing a sci-fi
> future where the problem of how to travel faster than light -- which
> current physics holds to be either impossible outside of maybe the
> outlandish theory of dropping through a singularity of some sort and
> somehow managing to stay alive in the process.  I would tend to say
> that if we're going to play game where this is not only a problem
> that's been solved but is made a trivial element that we can abstract
> into a given, it's a little silly to say that we won't also have
> developed a way to build spy satellites that doesn't force us to still

> use giant physical glass lenses in the telescopes.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <sipior@sipior.net>

I've