Prev: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 28 Next: [GZG] 15/18mm AT-STs

Re: [GZG] Satellite imagery

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@t...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:19:46 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Satellite imagery

Hi,

There are several considerations when deciding where to place
reconnaissance
satellites. This has nothing to do with technology, but just plain
physics.

- The ability to cover the target at vertical viewing angles.

- The ability to scan the entire orbited object.

- The amount of time it takes to return to the same point on the
orbited object.

- The limits of the observing optics (the extreme being diffraction
limited optics.)

So, if your target is at a fixed longitude, very low latitude, and your
optics are excellent, then geosynchronous orbits make sense for this
role.

For Earth's orbit at the extreme end of the visible spectrum (400 nm)
you would need
a ~8.75 m diffraction limited telescope to get 2 m resolution (which is
pretty poor.)

Maybe there is some way to PSB all these considerations (and any I've
missed) away.
I just don't see them ;-)

Cheers,
Tony C.