Prev: RE: [GZG] DSIII q Next: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

RE: [GZG] DSIII q

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:29:53 -0700
Subject: RE: [GZG] DSIII q

Is it necessary to place the targeting marker more than 1 turn out?  You
could simply have a marker or card that says "Artillery Incoming".  Each
turn add to the pile, when the appropriate number of counters is
collected, the player then places a marker on the table where it will
land next turn. This assumes the fact that the artillery rounds are
sub-sonic and the whistling sound of the rounds alert units in the
target zone about the incoming.  Hypersonic or beam weapons should
arrive on the same turn as the marker.

Is it fair that the artillery observer can move the target marker to
essentially follow a target over multiple turns? In short, yes.  Unless
the rounds are completely dumb, there should be some type of mid-air
course correction possible with smart or brilliant rounds. With smart or
brilliant rounds you may be able to do a "terminal" adjustment and just
before they fall, adjust the targeting marker an X distance ( X is
greater for brilliant rounds than for smart ones).

OTOH there maybe battlefield radar/lidar units that can track incoming
rounds and notify ground units that there is incoming artillery fire and
give a predicted fall zone, thus providing units with 2-3 turns of
notice before the shots land.

--Binhan