Prev: Re: [GZG] NAC - American style - new ships Next: RE: [GZG] Primers

Re: [GZG] DSIII q

From: "John K. Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:39:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] DSIII q

Well, since you asked.	I can give you the basics, and will leave out
the myriad of guidance systems and such.

The artillery can be called in as part of an active firefight, or an FO
can start a firefight by calling in artillery.	(I'll get some of this a

little wrong as the artillery section is not fully worked out). The FO
places an impact marker, just as per DSII.  If the artillery is on
table, it comes in on the following TCR - allowing the targets to
attempt to flee the beaten zone.  Note that with correctable munitions,
and with infantry only moving at 0.5mu Combat Move, they won't always
get out. :)  If the artillery is off table, it's put into a "zone"; each

zone requiring a full TCR for the rounds to pass through.  So, if you
have a battery in zone 3, and place an impact marker on TCR 2, the
impact occurs on TCR 5.  Not terribly useful unless you're targeting a
position (hill, revetment, etc.) or have the enemy well pinned and
unable to move.

The damage is figured depending on what kind of munitions you used.
Since the artillery is designed as a normal non-energy weapon with a
high elevation weapon mount, and ARTY-FCS, it can fire whatever kinds of

rounds the normal gun does. So MDCs lay in MDC fire.  HVCs can fire KE,
HEAT, HE, Shrapnel, etc.  The infantry mortars that the Order had in the

game were LVC/0.5s (low velocity cannon).  Pretty much useless against
armor (rolling impact die * 0.5 even against top armor is asking a
lot!), and they only had HE, Shrapnel, and smoke.  So their best shot
against your tanks would have gotten them a D6/2 for impact.

Against infantry, however, especially if they can catch them out in the
open, it's a different story. :)

That's the basics.  A lot of work (potentially) goes into the design of
your ammo loads, but once you're playing, it's not that hard to resolve.
:)

John