Prev: [GZG] [ECC] [long] AAR Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] NAC Majestic/A class

[GZG] [GZG ECC] ECC XI is history....

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 05:06:10 -0500
Subject: [GZG] [GZG ECC] ECC XI is history....

Notes and Comments from a Good Convention:

1. Jon, Jerry, Mark, and co. did a wonderful job of organizing. Jon's
ability to pull
things together despite last minute schedule changes in profusion was
laudible. The
convention was a success and I think that, as we approach the vaunted
10th anniversary, we
should be sure to heap profuse thanks upon the team that made (and
makes) this whole thing
tick over. Without them, their would be no ECC.

2. During my time there, I got to play a demo stargrunt game (and got my
butt handed to me
in some part due to random bad luck) which Adrian ran to help teach the
wonders of SG2,
Aaron's EFSB "All alone in the night" game where Admiral Indy generously
absorbed the
majority of the First One's fire (run by JP Fiset - "Who knew they were
French
Canadian?"), and I had a chance to die gloriously under the direction of
Admiral Fisetski
of the Krasny Flota in valiant battle with the invading Angliski. That
last game was run
by a slightly tired but operational Jon Davis. Kudos to all the GMs. I
think Adrian did a
good job of showcasing Stargrunt II, Aaron's EFSB game was great (The
Drazi were adjudjed
to have achieved their victory conditions, though Doug missed the last
round suicide
ram.... probably the only game where any EFSB fleet has plotted "RAM"
for more than six
turns *as an entire fleet*), and Jon's scenario where the valiant Heroes
of the Solar
Union were trying to hold off the NAC as they committed atrocities
against unarmed
civilian moon facilities was quite a bit of fun (at least until the
round where I thought
the NAC was out of SMs and I sent the fighters off and they then hit my
Komarov with 4 SMs
for 46 points).

3. Saturday night, I ran "The Devil Is In The Details", a Stargrunt II
scenario. The
players were most excellent. The AAR for this event will appear here in
the next few days,
I've already started it. In short, a NAC VTOL was down, and NAC and UN
forces raced to the
rescue. The NAC knew that the Duke of Baltimore had been aboard, the UN
did not. Some of
the UN forces were not who they seemed, having been replaced by the
"Sons of Liberty", a
US Constitutionalist splinter group interested in freeing the Americas
from the "Anglian
Occupation". The fighting took considerable time to start, the game
featured some pretty
good role playing out of the Sons of Liberty and Nick Caldwell as the
BBC news crew, and
when the violence started, it was pretty effective since most units were
in range band 1
or 2. The summary was that the NAC and UN were going to take a fairly
brutal casualty
count, but that the Sons of Liberty just did not manage to achieve a
sufficient cordon to
ensure the Duke would be captured.

That latter event was a special event - with Jon Tuffley's permission.
Pending final
confirmation by Jon, the results of this event are going to be
considered 'canonical' in
the historical timeline (the event is set in 2150) and is the first of
the ECC "Living
GZGverse" events (more to come, hopefully one for each system, in 2006).
The idea of this
is to promote GZG events, add some life to the timeline, and give the
ECC further 'special
magic' that will encourage people to come to ECC events since these
sorts of things won't
happen anywhere else. I'll have a write up of the final 'timeline entry'
after approval
(assuming there are no hitches) by Jon T. (And the players will get
special certificates
signed by Jon T. after I get them made up).

I need the various players involved to contact me with email addresses
and snailmail
addresses (kaladorn at gmail dot com or kaladorn at magma dot ca). I can
then arrange to
get them the certificates once I've got them created and signed.

Add to all this some good times playing Guillotine with Laserlight and
Mike Hudak, the
usual good times with my Ottawa and Kingston and Toronto cronies
(Jim/JP/Tom M, Doug, and
Adrian respectively) and the usual snowstorm on the way back with
whiteout conditions, and
it was an ECC to fondly remember.

Watch for the AAR for Devil in the Details that should appear along with
a link to
whatever pics turned out along about the end of the week.

If you didn't make it to ECC, you really should next year for the 10th
anniversary. It'll
be a blast.

Thomas Barclay
Happily back in Canada

Prev: [GZG] [ECC] [long] AAR Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] NAC Majestic/A class